Re: Different text/properties in active vs inactive mode line

From: sdn . gnuem
Subject: Re: Different text/properties in active vs inactive mode line
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 14:03:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 01 May 2011 03:49:38 -0400 (EDT), Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> That's okay, since I have no clear idea about what exactly you are

> after, either.

Hmm.  Okay, let me start over, with visual aids this time.  All links

below are to PNG images.

    I am trying to find a way to change mode-line text and/or

properties dynamically, based on whether the mode-line is currently

active or not.

    I have some propertized elements to my mode-line-format.  You can

see an example here: http://cl.ly/1o0e0x3N1m2F0b3X3x3J   (these aren't

the actual colors I use; this is an example for illustrative purposes).

    This works fine, but it looks awful against the mode-line-inactive

face, when I split the window. See http://cl.ly/3X132L2I2s1C3R3P0K1k

    Now, I could change the faces to look good with

mode-line-inactive, but then they look bad with the regular mode-line.

See http://cl.ly/0J0S361L3w3L1m0L0l2Z .  I suppose if I were some kind

of UI designer god, I could come up with combinations that look good

on both backgrounds.  But I'm not.

    What I want is to be able to define one face to use on the mode

line in the active window, and a different face to use on the mode

line for all of the inactive windows: http://cl.ly/1Y442G1C073O051G4630

    Then, when I move to a different window with C-xo, my custom faces

would change as the mode-line switches from mode-line face to

mode-line-inactive face: http://cl.ly/2Q1d3Z0q2a3W1s1S273m

I hope that helps.

-- Sue D. Nymme

This message was sent from a MailNull anti-spam account.  You can get
your free account and take control over your email by visiting the
following URL.

   http://mailnull.com/