Re: activating the beep

From: Frédéric Baldit
Subject: Re: activating the beep
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 16:37:58 +0000 (UTC)

Óscar Fuentes <ofv <at> wanadoo.es> writes:

> By default the beep that Emacs produces goes to the PC speaker. Some modern
> desktop machines (and all laptops AFAIK) don't have a PC
> speaker. Another possibility is that your OS has the pcspkr kernel
> module disabled (this is the case of Ubuntu since some releases
> ago). You can check that pcspkr is loaded typing this on a console:
>
> lsmod | grep pcspkr
I checked this: pcspkr kernel module is loaded, as the previous command
responds:
pcspkr                  1699  0

> If the above outputs nothing, try this load the module:
>
> sudo modprobe pcspkr
>
> Then on Emacs pressing C-g (Control+g) should produce a beep.
>
> You also can check that the beep is not muted. On my Kubuntu 10.10
> install this is performed executing alsamixer on a console:

> alsamixer
>
> press the left arrow until you see a vertical bar with the word "Beep"
> under it. If it is muted the letters MM are shown over it. Be sure that
> "Beep" is highlighted, press M to unmute it and the up arrow to increase
> the volume.
I had also checked that, and alsamixer says that PCbeep is not mutted. By the
way all my sound system seems to work. Curiously, running emacs in a console,
through the command "emacs -nw", makes the PCbeep work !! I simply would like it
to work ALSO in it's X window, as I usually use it. Right now, I really don't
see why PC beep doesn't work for me in emacs.
  Frédéric.