Re: ssh in emacs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: ssh in emacs
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:57:22 -0600

Perry Smith wrote:
> Seems like I asked this (or someone asked this) within the past year but:
>
> is there a mode like telnet and rlogin but uses ssh?

I use for this is ssh.el ssh-mode by Noah Friedman.  I think this is
exactly what you are asking about.  Check it out.

  http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/

  http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/ssh.el

The other way I use ssh inside of emacs is to open a terminal window
in emacs, or more precisely as described in the emacs manual in
section "41.8 Emacs Terminal Emulator" window.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Terminal-emulator.html#Terminal-emulator

Terminal mode is a little more complicated because it takes a little
bit of learning in order to drive terminal mode inside of emacs but it
does work out of the box without installing anything additional
installed.  Plus knowing terminal mode is useful for other things.  I
often use it for various unrelated things.  But here the concept is to
start terminal mode inside emacs and then just ssh normally in that
window to the remote host.  You can even run emacs inside emacs that
way.

Bob