Operations like grep-find & compile are blocking on Windows 7

From: Jason Tongen
Subject: Operations like grep-find & compile are blocking on Windows 7
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:17:18 -0500

Hello,

I recently upgraded my emacs version from 20.x to 23.3.1.  Now, when I execute any functions that go out to the shell to execute (for example, both grep-find and compile) other operation from within emacs is blocked until that function completes.  For example, I can't navigate the current buffer, switch buffers, ....  In my old version of emacs the compilation was completely asynchronous, so I could continue editing/navigating my buffer as a compilation was in process.

All the operations work as expected (grep-find returns the results I'd expect, compile performs compilation), it's just that they are synchronous now.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Jason