Re: file coding problem for .emacs file

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: file coding problem for .emacs file
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:06:42 +0200

Am 23.06.2011 02:49, schrieb ishi soichi:
Emacs23.2
MacOSX SnowLeopard

Hi. I normally set Emacs to that it can show Japanese characters, and it was
fine until yesterday.

The comments in .emacs file are in Japanese.  And these comments have
suddenly become corrupt.  All Japanese fonts are messed up and unable to
read

I changed many settings but I am not sure what exactly caused this problem.

So I tried...

1. commented the entire .emacs file.  But no change.  The mode-line shows
"-=:-- .emacs " so file-coding system must be wrong.
2. I uncommented a part of the regular setting,

(set-language-environment 'Japanese)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

and rebooted Emacs.  But it still gives the same problem.

3. I implemented "set-buffer-file-coding-system" (default was nil).  Then I
changed that to shift-jis and utf-8. It does no improve the situation at
all.

Could anyone guess what the problem is ?

Thanks in advance.

soichi

When .emacs file is loaded, it looks like Emacs reads some cached (?) data
hidden somewhere, which I cannot find.

Hi,

experienced a similar problem in earlier times with German umlauts for example.

Here something went wrong when saving. For example when saved from XEmacs it was destroyed for GNU.

Keeping it under version-control now so may check out an earlier version if that happens.

Good luck,

Andreas