Re: shortest amount of keystrokes to see URL in an external browser

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: shortest amount of keystrokes to see URL in an external browser
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:15:11 -0700

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM,  <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
> PW> If you got as far as looking at the code for `find-file-at-point',
> PW> perhaps it occurred to you to customize `ffap-url-fetcher' to
> PW> `browse-url-firefox'?  :-)
> Yes I do similar things in http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.emacs
> I'm just wanting a way to have an external browser function be at the
> most just one more keystroke than the internal browser function.
>
> I.e., I want C-x C-f to call the internal browser function,
> and      C-u C-x C-f to call the external browser function.
> Or some other key
>             C-? C-? to call the external browser function.
> And with the massive complication of also wanting the power of FFAP,
> it is not kid stuff, but also not senior stuff, or senior stiff, which
> is where I'm headed...

It sounds like you don't want to "re-engineer" the whole thing; you
just want to appropriate the prefix argument for your own purposes.
Exactly like `find-file-at-point' does to `ffap-file-finder'. ;-)

So, along those lines, something like:

(defun my-ffap (&optional filename)
  (interactive)
  (let ((ffap-url-fetcher (if current-prefix-arg
                              #'browse-url-firefox
                            ffap-url-fetcher))
        (current-prefix-arg nil))
    (find-file-at-point filename)))