Re: Distinguish inactive windows

From: Joe Riel
Subject: Re: Distinguish inactive windows
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:47:24 -0700

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 02:45:41 +0000 (UTC)
Alp Aker <alp.tekin.aker@gmail.com> wrote:

> > How can the selected window be visually distinguished from the other
> > windows in its frame?  I'd like to, say, set mode-line background
> > of the selected window to a particular color.
>
> Is specifically a unique *window* whose mode-line you want to
> distinguish, or would it suffice to change the mode-line for all
> windows displaying a particular *buffer*?  If the former, you're out
> of luck; there's no way (that I'm aware of) to do it.  If the latter,
> you can use the variable `mode-line-format', which is buffer-local
> and which allows you to specify a face.

It only has to be unique to a buffer.  Here's a simpler variant
on your scheme that does precisely what I want:

(make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist)
(setq face-remapping-alist
      '((mode-line-inactive :foreground "black" :background "yellow")))

Thanks again for the ideas, they helped.

Joe Riel