Re: removing old installations

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: removing old installations
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:42:59 -0700

On Sat, Jun 25 2011, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> Am 25.06.2011 19:34, schrieb Eric Abrahamsen:
>> I'm running the Ubuntu repository version of emacs (23.2.1) on Natty. In
>> the past I've tried compiling both emacs 24 and emacs 23 myself on this
>> machine, before deciding it was unnecessary and just using the
>> repository version. As near as I can tell I've cleared the old 24 and 23
>> installations out of my system, but leftover files are still interfering
>> with byte compilation in my present system.
>>
>> Makefiles in external packages like gnus or org-mode set the executable
>> to "emacs" (ie, no full path). There are no other "emacs" executables on
>> my path, but still I need to change the makefiles to specify
>> "/usr/bin/emacs", or else I pick up weird bits from emacs 24, and my
>> compiled files behave strangely (I can provide more details).
>

> Hi,
>
> that would be of interest for me, just to understand how Emacs behaves.

What was happening was that a call to a function named
internal-temp-output-buffer-show, which only exists in emacs 24, was
getting dragged in when my org-mode files were compiled. I ran into it
in the org-export function, though grepping my compiled org-mode
codebase showed that it had crept into more than a few of the compiled
files.

It was confusing because org-export complained that the function
couldn't be found; meanwhile no mention of that function appears
anywhere in the org codebase. Manually re-compiling the org-export
function definition from within emacs cleared the problem up.

That function seems to be included in src/window.c in the emacs trunk
source, but I don't know where in your system it ends up after you've
compiled and installed emacs 24. Nor do I know why it was pollution byte
compilation in my regular emacs.