Re: keyboard macro to record scp (password)

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: keyboard macro to record scp (password)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:19:24 +0200

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried Tramp and its really cool. I am certainly going to use it for
> editing remote files. A quick question .... looks like it was
> automatically able to cache the password for subsequent C-x C-f  -
> however, it prompts for password for each M-x shell

Tramp uses password-cache.el. Check variable password-cache-expiry. Its
default value is 16 (passwords expire after 16 seconds). If you change
this value to t, passwords do not expire during the lifetime of your
Emacs session.

They won't be stored in a file, just kept in memory.

> My original usecase however is to be able to "cache" passwords in
> eshell - perhaps, I need to modify the keyboard macro recording to
> wait for a bit (till the password is prompted for) before re-playing
> the password.

Tramp is also compatible with eshell. See the Tramp manual for use cases.

> Regards,
> Kashyap

Best regards, Michael.