shell command ls -al fails with os error 253

From: AngusC
Subject: shell command ls -al fails with os error 253
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:38:37 -0700 (PDT)

If I use just ls on its own then no error and I see output as expected but
using ls -al I get ls.exe has stopped working dialog and emacs reports Shell
command failed with code 253 and no output).

I am running GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) on Windows 7.

Anyone any ideas?

I am quite new to emacs so there may be some tip which would prevent this
issue?

Angus