Re: Handling mail

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: Handling mail
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 21:25:45 +0100

On 7/15/2011 7:58 PM, Johan Vromans wrote:

The problems that I actually experience during daily use is:

- No proper display if Unicode characters (Emacs and Gnus do this right,
   VM doesn't).

- Mysterious handling of message attachments (some are displayed inline,
   some are displatched to external 'viewers', but most are offered to be
   saved to disk). This may be a problem external to Emacs.

What version of VM are you using?

The handling of message attachments is handled by your option settings, such as vm-mime-internal-content-types and vm-mime-external-content-types-alist etc. What are your settings for these variables? Do you have emacs-w3m installed for handling html?

Moreover, VM provides some nifty features that I haven't yet found out
how to do with Gnus:

- Automatically infer the name of the file to save a message into,
   depending on the sender name (and using the mail-folder property in
   the BBDB, if any).

- In the summary, display the name of the recipient if the sender is me
   ('me' being a list of mail addresses). This is particularly handy
   since I save BCC's of outgoing messages in my primary mailbox.

- Automatically (or on demand) change my from, reply-to, selected
   headers and signature depending on which of my email addresses the
   message was sent to.

Absolutely. I haven't tried the other mail clients. So I can't speak for them. But VM does have myriads of little features that make life convenient.

Cheers,
Uday