Re: Several beginner-questions

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: Several beginner-questions
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 03:36:43 +0200

Hey Marko,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh yes, I tried it, and it looks rather cool. The problem is, however, that I
> work quite often from a remote machine, via ssh, and without X. So I believe
> that in my case it is a good idea to develop habits for using Emacs without
> the gui, from ground up.

Emacs has a solution for everything! Try the amazing tramp package to
edit remote files (although I am not sure whether auctex is "tramp
aware"). `C-h i m TRAMP RET' That said, as far as I know reftex-mode
works just fine on a terminal. You will only miss out on the latex
previews in auctex.

> Besides, TeX buffer previews notwithstanding, Emacs' gui is just soooo ugly...
> Just my personal taste here. ;-)

Well I can't argue with that. I turn off all the bells and whistles
(icons, buttons, scroll bars ...) anyway. :-)

--
Suvayu