Couple of automation questions

From: C K Kashyap
Subject: Couple of automation questions
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:01:18 +0530

Hi,
I have a situation where I need to "beautify" a log file quite often. I need to do the same set of steps.
What is the recommended best practices for the following approaches -
1. Keyboard Macro
What is the way to save the macro to disk? Do we open a new buffer (or a buffer that contains all keyboard macros) and then insert it there and save it?

2. Scripting
Whats the recommended way to get started with scripting? Do I open up a buffer and start typing? I dont seem to get function name completion in a new buffer.

Regards,
Kashyap