Re: code folding

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: code folding
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:09:06 +0530

Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Look at bindings effective while in orgstruct(++)-mode.
>>
>> Do a C-h b and search for orgstruct.
>>

> I have the following code in my ruby-mode-hook to enable code folding
> using outline-minor-mode + outline-magic.
>
> (outline-minor-mode 1)
> (set (make-local-variable 'outline-regexp) "^[ \t]*\\(?:def
> \\|class\\|module\\)\\|^[ \t]*###==")

Did you try the suggestion in the FAQ that I pointed to?

While in emacs-lisp-mode + outline-minor-mode + below mentioned-hook,,
C-TAB and S-TAB fold and unfold the defuns as expected. Note that for
C-TAB to work, the cursor needs to be on a headline (the line where the
ellipsis shows)

You don't have to do any additional settings for code folding to work.

,----

`----

> What's the equivalent in orgstruct?  org-outline-regexp seems
> interesting but isn't documented.

orgstruct mode is for editing org-like text in other modes - like
message mode etc. It has NOTHING to do with folding of code as
such.

In summary, in a ruby buffer,

1. Add the above hook for folding and unfolding ruby functions.
2. Turn orgstruct++-mode for editing comments that look like a org-like
   plain-text tree.