Re: beginner's question:add-hook&AUCTeX

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: beginner's question:add-hook&AUCTeX
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:35:13 +0200

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Shiyuan,

>     I want to swap the C-j and C-m key. According to the documentation,
> AUCTeX will evaluate the LaTeX-mode-hook so I add the following to my
> .emacs,
>
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook (lambda()
>                  (local-set-key (kbd "C-m")
> 'reindent-then-newline-and-indent)))
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook (lambda()
>                  (local-set-key (kbd "C-j") 'newline)))

Looks good, I'd say.

> However, it has no effect. It seems it's not evaluated at all.

Are you sure that AUCTeX is really loaded?  If it is, then the output of
C-h f latex-mode RET is:

,----[ C-h f latex-mode RET ]
| latex-mode is an alias for `TeX-latex-mode' in `tex-site.el'.
|
| (latex-mode)
|
| Major mode in AUCTeX for editing LaTeX files.
| See info under AUCTeX for full documentation.
|
| [...]
`----

If AUCTeX is not loaded, then the standard emacs latex-mode (that
doesn't define/use LaTeX-mode-hook) is used producing this output:

,----[ C-h f latex-mode RET (in emacs -Q)]
| latex-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `tex-mode.el'.
|
| (latex-mode)
|
| Parent mode: `tex-mode'.
`----

Bye,