Re: emacs on a text console - please help me overcome the shock

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: emacs on a text console - please help me overcome the shock
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:55:42 +0300

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:55:34 +0100 (BST), rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de wrote:

> I'm a "normal" GUI computer user, [snip]
>
> Now I have to work on a remote server via SSH, and the connection is not fast
> enough to tunnel X Windows over it, so I have to switch to console mode with
> "emacs -nw".
>
> The console mode has been a shock. [snip]

One option not mentioned it the many answers is the use of remote
GUI desktop (VNC, NX, XRDP etc).
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

All these packages let you create virtual desktop on the remote
machine and connect to it (mostly through SSH) from the local machine.
They get much quicker rendering than X forwarding.
There are other advantages: the client can work on another OS, you can
disconnect from the remote desktop and reconnect from another machine
(like screen for text terminals).

I work with VNC+SSH over the Internet and quiet happy with it.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign