Re: [rcirc] Some issues on log and auto-join channels of oftc

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: [rcirc] Some issues on log and auto-join channels of oftc
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 10:25:00 +0200

On 2011-08-27 10:00, Yue Wu wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> Sorry for my poor English if I can't describe myself clearly, and if I
> did, please let me know, thanks!

That's alright, you described the issues very clearly!

> Issue 1:
>
> Log feature deson't work at all, I have these settings in ~/.emacs
>
> (setq rcirc-log-flag t)
> (setq rcirc-log-directory "~/.emacs.d/log")
> (setq rcirc-log-process-buffers t)

That is strange. I don't know why that would happen, to be honest. I'll have to look into it further.

> Issue 2:
>
> rcirc-server-alist doesn't work well when rcirc-authinfo has been
> specified for oftc irc server.
>
> I have settings:
>
> (setq rcirc-server-alist '(("irc.freenode.net" :channels ("#rcirc"
> "#emacs" "#vim" "#bsdchat"))
> ("irc.oftc.net" :channels ("#emacs-cn" "#arch-cn" "#suckless" "#vim-cn"
> "#tex-cn"))
> ))
>
> (setq rcirc-authinfo '(("freenode" nickserv "user" "password")
> ("oftc" nickserv "uesr" "password"))
>
> With these setting, the channels I've specified will not aoto-join when
> connect to oftc, but if I removed "oftc" in rcirc-authinfo, then it will
> work fine. freenode server works fine in both cases.

This is because of two things:

1. On oftc, Nickserv says "You are successfully identified as <nickname>.", but on Freenode it says "You are now identified for <nickname>." We currently don't support the oftc version, but I have fixed it and will soon push it to trunk. Thanks.

2. Since a while back, early March, rcirc uses rcirc-authenticate-before-join, which waits until you authenticate using e.g. NickServ before joining any channels. This is turned on by default, but since the oftc message was not supported, it would never understand that the user had successfully authenticated. You can either turn off this option or wait for me to push the above fix to trunk.