Re: problem with UTF-8 when accessing Emacs installed on iMac from ssh s

From: Carl Bolduc
Subject: Re: problem with UTF-8 when accessing Emacs installed on iMac from ssh session on the iPad
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:47:43 -0400

>> From: Carl Bolduc <carlbolduc@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:12:06 -0400
>>
>> On the iPad, I use Prompt
>> (http://www.panic.com/blog/2011/04/introducing-prompt-ssh-for-ios/) to
>> open a ssh session on my Mac and run Emacs remotely. Whenever I try to
>> add a "French" character such as "é" or "è", I get "\351" in the
>> buffer and Emacs will complain if I try to save the file. If I switch
>> the coding system to iso-8859-1, I can enter the French chars without
>> any problems.
>>
>> Is there a setting I can change to make UTF-8 work when I access Emacs
>> through ssh?
>
> Are you saying that existing text is displayed correctly, and the
> problem is with typing French characters?  If so, please tell what
> does the following display in Emacs:
>
>  M-: keyboard-coding-system RET
>
> Also, is this a GUI (graphical) session or a text-mode session?

Yes, existing text is displayed correctly, and the problem is with
typing French characters.

The result of the eval is: utf-8-unix

I have this in .emacs:
(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

It is a text-mode session (Emacs -nw through SSH).