Re: Emacs as C++-IDE

From: S Boucher
Subject: Re: Emacs as C++-IDE
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:59:23 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----

> oh,the description is no compete right.
> Emacs can do all thing in
> http://www.dealii.org/~archiver/dealii/msg06854.html thing,
> and do better,more efficiency.

I'm a full time emacs user, but emacs presently doesn't offer what some IDEs do
offer for code browsing.

CEDET is definitely impressive and has potential, but I've been unable so far
to use it satisfactorily.

The biggest problem is configuring a project.  Try setting a CEDET project on
top of WebKit, for example.  It's difficult to match CEDET to a third party
build system, except for the most simplistic projects.

CEDET is impressive, but I've given up on it for the time being, and use
ebrowse as a poor man's class browser.

As for gud for debugging, I can't live without it, but it's not on par with
what you'll find in, say, Eclipse.