Re: OT: native emacs on android

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: OT: native emacs on android
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:59:47 +0200

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 20:41:52 +0200, dejfson <dejfson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> i'm thinking to buy a tablet-like device. One of the candidates would be
> either eee transformer with keyboard, or samsung galaxy tab 10.1. I could see
> a big
> potential in eee because of its keyboard. However in order to fully use the
> keyboard to be 'productive' a native emacs would be required (so I can write
> latex files etc...).
>
> My question is then, does somebody already provide emacs natively for android?
> So far I've seen only recipies of type 'put there debian and install emacs
> using apt-get'.
> of course this is of no way as i'd like to stick with original android.
>
> any experience?

Since this is a tablet, one can assume you've got another machine? And
if so, then why not simply run Emacs on that other machine and
interact with it from the tablet using X/VNC etc. Not ideal if you're
away.

I quite happily use Emacs on the commandline via connectbot (ssh) with
Emacs running on a machine at home. Biggest problem is lack of
dedicated CTRL and META keys and that Swype doesn't interact well with
emacs commands.

Also, whilst it is necessary to root the device to install Linux (and
hence Emacs) inside a chroot, it is not necessary to replace the
original android from my understanding.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--