buffer-local variables and state information

From: Le Wang
Subject: buffer-local variables and state information
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:25:26 +0800

Is it considered generally acceptable to store state information, for
example, from a minor-mode in a buffer-local variable?  This seemed
like a clean way of doing it, because when the buffer gets killed, the
variables go away, and the GC will clean up at some later stage.

However, recently, I discovered that changing major-modes would
actually kill all buffer-local variables, which would leave my
minor-mode in an invalid state.  So I've been doing it wrong?

--
Le