Re: Perl mode and y=>

From: S Boucher
Subject: Re: Perl mode and y=>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:26:09 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----

> For some reason, Perl mode behaves oddly

Perl is... odd.  I've used perl for a long time with emacs.  You just learn to
live with the problems.

Perl's syntax has too many cases of context sensitive interpretations of
characters.  It's just hell to make emacs capable to deal with all this.  I
suspect Perl is the only software capable of parsing perl code :-)

If it's any consolation, we managed to convince Larry Wall back in the days
when perl 5 was being "designed" to not follow Tom Christiansen's idea of what
the scope operator should be. Tom wanted the single quote. Most prefered C++'s
:: for familiarity and friendlyness to parsers.  If you think things are bad
now, imagine having the single quote has the scope operator :-)