Re: "like other editors" [was: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (ak

From: ken
Subject: Re: "like other editors" [was: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete]
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 11:17:02 -0400

On 10/03/2011 09:41 AM Suvayu Ali wrote:
Hi Ken,

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:18:11 -0400
ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

Secondly, there are places in the world where people haven't ever
used Windows; instead, their first and only experience with computers
is with Linux.  What sense can it make to them that emacs' behavior
is changed simply to mimic some other editor they've never seen or
used?

You wrongly assumed by modern editors I was talking about Windows
editors[1],

No, I wasn't assuming you were talking about Word. Since you didn't say which editor you were talking about, I just picked Word as a foil. If you re-read my post, you'll see on my first reference to Word I preceded it by "e.g.", implying the same thereafter.

you can check out other FOSS editors (in fact they are
pretty good for relatively simple use) like Geany, Kate, Gedit, Nedit
(this is actually pretty old), text input windows of most file/web
browsers, many GUI email clients and so on. And most of the friends I
was trying to introduce to org-mode were *nix users already (yes there
are non-techie people using *nix, and yes they made the decision
without any "friendly help" guiding them in that direction).

My same argument still applies: What's done in other editors isn't relevant here. Emacs doesn't have to do everything the same as [insert your favorite editor here]. *Again* we shouldn't try simply to follow what's fashionable.

Also, I don't understand the reason for making a distinction between "techie people" and others.

No need to start a(n) argument/flame-war here, RMS asked users' opinion
and I expressed myself. ....

Agreed. It's just that you were the second person to bring up the Following Fashion argument. It seemed, then, worthwhile to consider which criteria are actually relevant to the issue. How is that 'starting a flame war'?

Footnotes:

[1] BTW, MS Word is not an editor, its a word processor a parallel in
    the FOSS world would be LibreOffice Writer.

And, technically speaking, emacs is a text processor.  Relevance?