Re: starter kit settings

From: Lachlan Deck
Subject: Re: starter kit settings
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 05:15:01 +1100

On 03/10/2011, at 4:45 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Lachlan> Firstly, opening menu items seemingly uses the IDO
> Lachlan> package. However pressing F10 or M-~ shows in the footer: Menu
> Lachlan> bar (up/down to change, PgUp to menu): f===>File
>
> Lachlan> getting to the other menu items only works for me by
> Lachlan> backspacing over f===>File' where I can then cycle through, via
> Lachlan> ido, the rest. It's quite annoying.
>
> Do you not see the entire menu in a separate subwindow?  You should.

No. A new buffer comes up, but not with the contents of the menu (as I would
expect), but with this:
---
Press PageUp key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.
Alternatively, you can use Up/Down keys (or your History keys) to change
the item in the minibuffer, and press RET when you are done, or press the
marked letters to pick up your choice.  Type C-g or ESC ESC ESC to cancel.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

There are no possible completions of what you have typed.
---

> You're not supposed to edit the prompt the way you're trying to, just
> type the single letter mnemonic of the desired item which should be
> clear from the menu (if it is visible).

I was hoping to have the menu-bar invisible, but to still make use of it when
needed (via the buffer popup).

Lachlan Deck
lachlan.deck@gmail.com