Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 20:53:20 +0200

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

Hi Ian,

> One reaction to both hunks: have you read the actual proposal by RMS?
> I have, but perhaps I misread it so in that case please point out my
> error.  As I understand it if the proposal is approved active region
> status or transient-mark-mode won't matter - it will be enough to just
> have a region at all (ie. to have set a mark and have mark != point).

No, no.  You need to have an active region, which depends on having
transient-mark-mode on.  The latter got default in emacs 23, but DEL did
not delete the active region.  With the proposed behavior, it will be
deleted.  The proposed behavior is that you get with the current emacs
24 pretest tarball.

Bye,
Tassilo