Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:47:02 +0200

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:42:50 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

[...]

> Here are the questions we hope you will answer:
>
> * Are you in favor of this change?
>
> * Are you opposed to this change?
>
> * How strongly do you feel about the matter?
>
> We don't want to just "count votes" -- we want to understand
> how this affects users.  So if you care about the issue,
> please tell us how the change affects your editing.

In general this is a welcome change and I will no longer need the
following in .emacs: (delete-selection-mode 1)

However, I'm not certain from a functional point of view how
delete-selection-mode differs from the proposed change (will it also
include transient mark mode?).

Furthermore, I would like it to work well with completion.el. (as per
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/delsel.el )

Cheers,
Jonathan
--