Re: "like other editors" [was: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (ak

From: ken
Subject: Re: "like other editors" [was: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete]
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 08:37:08 -0400

(Again) Though some believe it makes more sense to bottom-post and/or respond interlinearly, most people using email top-post. So we should all start doing what most people do. :P

Moreover, in modern email apps the default behavior in replying to an email places the cursor at the top of your reply. So they must have done a study on this and found top posting to be better. :P

In keeping with the principle that the sole criterion for changing how emacs (or any software) works will be what's fashionable, emacs should make, among others, the following reassignments to its UI:

C-p - Print the file

C-n - New file

C-a - select All

C-q - Quit

These changes will make it easier for those new to emacs. In that they are culturally biased towards those who speak English, there are good reasons for them. And because so many other modern editors have these same key bindings, they must have done a series of studies on them and found them the most intuitive and therefore best for all (denen von eine einsiger engen Denk- und Mundart).

Enjoy.