Re: Updating to Emacs 24

From: Jeremiah Dodds
Subject: Re: Updating to Emacs 24
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 19:23:32 -0500

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
> I downloaded the Pretest version of Emacs 24, having Emacs 23.1.1
> installed on Ubuntu. Before I mess up my whole configuration, I thought
> I rather ask a few (quite basic) questions here:
>
> 1. do I have to uninstall Emacs 23.1.1 before installing Emacs 24?

If you're going to install emacs 24 system wide, it could be good idea
to uninstall it and
tell Ubuntu's package manager to ignore it for the time being. If you
don't, it *may* get
overwritten accidentally.

If you want to keep around, you could install 24 under your home directory.

> 2. I load most .el files from my .emacs.de, which is in my Dropbox-folder
> and therefore accesible from my Linux and my Win 7 machine, and not from the
> /usr/share/emacs directories - will this configuration be messed up by
> the new installation?

It should not.

> 3. should I change from Ubuntu 32 to 64, are there no problems with the
> 64bit version?

WRT Ubuntu, I don't know, but I've been running 24 from trunk on a 64
bit machine
with no problems for a while now. If you mean something else, could
you clarify your
question?

> 4. I would really like to try a minimal version of ubuntu 64 with stump-wm
> and Emacs 24. Does anybody has experience with or even an example
> configuration for this combination?

I don't, although you could just install a 64 bit server version and
work up from there.
If you'd like to try a clean minimal GNU/Linux setup, I'd recommend Arch.

HTH