Re: Why code completion using CEDET in Emacs so slow?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Why code completion using CEDET in Emacs so slow?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:42:24 +0200

Judeau writes:
> I recently try KDevelop. It looks up for symbols (variables, function names,
> class, struct...) much faster (instantly) than semantic-complete-self-insert
> or M-Ret. Using M-Ret is faster, but it does not have nice format like other
> IDEs, such as From nil > . In emacs, I must wait for at least ~1 sec, in
> many cases, waiting for CEDET to look up all the header files in an included
> header files, which takes very long.

CEDET will parse the headers once. They will be read from disk cache
afterwards.

> I used auto complete clang, but it seems to have no speed improvement. Why
> is that :( ?

I have no idea. Maybe CEDET isn't compiled correctly?

> I love Emacs and all, and been using it for my C/C++ for almost
> a year until I discover KDevelop. Using Emacs means code completion should
> be trivial and optional? I really love this Emacs as an editor and as an
> "IDE". I just want to find a way to improve this.
>
> I notice that when performing auto complete, my disk got accessed a lot. Is
> there a way to make the included files stored in memory for faster look up?
> Or should CEDET implement this way?

Maybe your project is simply very large? Could you give some concrete
examples where completions are too slow for you? Maybe CEDET can be
tuned to your project by excluding some headers which slow down
completion.

-David