Re: Why code completion using CEDET in Emacs so slow?

From: Judeau
Subject: Re: Why code completion using CEDET in Emacs so slow?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:54:52 -0700 (PDT)

David Engster wrote:

> Yes. CEDET is written in Emacs Lisp, so it will always be slower than
> those programs. Still, it should always be usable. Could you provide an
> example file using boost::asio which demonstrates the slow completion?
>
> -David

I edited and supplied one example in above post. When I look up everything
in boost:: namespace, it takes a long time. For small project, it is always
usable and fast enough, but parsing included files from large library is
always long, and every time a new symbol is looked up if I use
semantic-complete-self-insert for every member selection (using . or ->, it
still has a brief delay i ,which is still annoying. After the first time,
everything seems fine, sometimes a brief delay happens when look up, but
usually it is instant. Because of the time taken to parse, I usually type
manually and use auto-complete mode instead.

Due to this reason, I have hard time to convince people to start trying
Emacs.