(la)tex viewer variables

From: josh
Subject: (la)tex viewer variables
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:23:52 +0200

I am confused by the presence of the two variables

TeX-output-view-style

and

TeX-view-program-selection

I wanted to set the pdf viewer to evince. I found my way to
TeX-output-view-style. I read the description of the variable and it says:

**********************************
If the first element (a regular expression) matches the output
file extension, and the second element (a regular expression)
matches the name of one of the style options, any occurrence of
the string `%V' in a command in `TeX-command-list' will be
replaced with the third element.
**********************************

my TeX-output-view-style contains this:

("^pdf$" "." "evince --page-label=%(outpage) %o")

so as far as I read this, if the file extension of the file to be viewed
is pdf then evince should be called, but it didn't work.

After googling, I found my way to Tex-view-program-selection. Mine was
set to:

(((output-dvi style-pstricks)
  "dvips and gv")
 (output-dvi "xdvi")
 (output-pdf "xpdf")
 (output-html "xdg-open"))

and after I changed it to

(((output-dvi style-pstricks)
  "dvips and gv")
 (output-dvi "xdvi")
 (output-pdf "Evince")
 (output-html "xdg-open"))

it worked. okay. but then what is TeX-output-view-style for?

-j