Re: Mac terminal.app: starting emacs, possibly as sudo

From: Marius Hofert
Subject: Re: Mac terminal.app: starting emacs, possibly as sudo
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:34:22 +0200

Dear Perry, Dear Peter,

thanks a lot for helping.

I tried sudo /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacs and I am indeed
root in the shell :-)
There are some things that are strange, though: Option/Alt is not Meta anymore,
so when I wanted to start a shell with M-x ... I obtained a "=" symbol (or
rather, an "approximate" symbol). I realized that ESC is now Meta.
=> Are there any other significant changes I should be aware of?
=> Is it possible to get the same/similar behavior as in the GUI, maybe through
simply redefining root's .emacs and .emacs.d as my own? (bad practice?)

Well, maybe I should rethink the whole process: When do I want to open emacs as
root? From time to time, I open a file and modify it. When I try to save it, I
get the read-only warning. This means I would like to be su to modify this
file. It's probably best to just open it with C-x C-f /sudo::path-to-file...
But by closing and reopening all my modifications to the file are lost. How can
one avoid this?

Cheers,

Marius