RE: help reading assembly code

From: Buchs, Kevin
Subject: RE: help reading assembly code
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:43:42 -0500

> I would like to be able to read more easily assembly code (since I really
> don't do it very often). For example it would be nice to have some function
> which shows me a reference documentation given the operator.

Given my current infatuation with org-mode, I would accomplish the function you
describe above (only) using org-mode. I would make each command a radio link,
such that you could hypertext jump to the documentation on the command wherever
it occurs in your program. I would take a file of command documentation and
insert it at the end of my program. Each command name should be enclosed in <<
>>. The turn on org-mode.

Alternately, I would suggest writing a lisp function which parses out each
command and replaces it with a link with the same text as the label and that
link executes lisp code to bring up the definition, in the message area, a help
buffer, new frame or whatever fits best for you.

Have you checked out asm-mode? That might give you syntax coloring for assembly
that could be useful. You might have to create an child mode with custom syntax
table, depending on your assembly language.

Kevin Buchs   |  Senior Engineer  |  Department of Physiology and Biomedical
Engineering - SPPDG
507-538-5459  |   buchs.kevin@mayo.edu  |  http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg
Mayo Clinic  |  200 1st St. SW  |  Rochester, MN 55905