Re: tab character

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: tab character
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:35:13 +0530

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> wrote:
If you just want it to insert a TAB character every time, just map the key to self-insert-command.

Yes I gathered that this is the only way (or  C-q TAB).  Seems fairly low-level for such a basic usage...

Are you familiar with M-i that runs tab-to-tab-stop?  That might be what you want, too, especially if you want spaces inserted to 'equal' what the TAB character would do on a typewriter, for instance.

I need tab to be entered as tab without any questions or ambiguity (think makefiles?)

Hope this helps,

Mark