Re: dbus: "(setenv ...)" not the same as "export ...=..."

From: Peter Münster
Subject: Re: dbus: "(setenv ...)" not the same as "export ...=..."
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:08:11 +0100

On Sun, Oct 30 2011, Michael Albinus wrote:

>> Emacs is the only program, that requires the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
>> environment variable,
>
> Nope.

Better: emacs is the only program, that I know...
(my personal experience is quite limited ;)

> I do not see the use case for starting the D-Bus session bus from inside
> Emacs. In this case, you could only communicate with D-Bus-aware
> applications which have been started from inside Emacs as well, other
> applications won't see your session bus.

I don't want to start it from emacs. It has already been started from
somewhere at the start of the X-session. The "address=autolaunch"
permits emacs to find the dbus-daemon.

>From the dbus-launch man page:
  "If DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set for a process that tries to
   use D-Bus, by default the process will attempt to invoke dbus-launch
   with the --autolaunch option to start up a new session bus or find
   the existing bus address on the X display or in a file in
   ~/.dbus/session-bus/"

It seems, that emacs does this only, if DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is set
to "autolaunch:", but not if it is unset. And (setenv ...) does not
work, it must be set from outside emacs.

--
           Peter