Re: Emacs launches excruciatingly slowly

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs launches excruciatingly slowly
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 01:43:05 -0400

> From: Ryan Wersal <ryan@ryanwersal.com>
> Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:34:40 -0500
> Cc: "<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> I can confirm that all network drives are functioning correctly. Just to be
> thorough, I also removed all network drives. The problem continues to persist.

Can you use some OS-monitoring tool, like Process Monitor, to see just
what Emacs is doing during those long minutes?

If you can install GDB (you can find one on the MinGW site), then
starting GDB like this:

 gdb -p EMACS_PID

where EMACS_PID is the Emacs process ID (a number shown, e.g., by the
Task Manager), and then, once GDB is up and shows its "(gdb)" prompt,
typing this command:

 (gdb) thread apply all bt

will show where each one of the Emacs threads is wasting the time.

Doing that procedure several times during the wait should reveal where
this time is spent.  (After each "thread apply" command, type "q" to
exit the debugger and let Emacs run some more, then repeat the above
recipe.)

(It sounds like this kind of issue should be discussed not here, but
rather on emacs-devel@gnu.org, or as part of a bug report sent with
"M-x report-emacs-bug RET" so please follow up there.)