Re: display-buffer-alist

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 09:51:03 +0100

> I'm having a very hard time understanding the documentation for
> display-buffer-alist.  emacs24 behaves differently than emacs23.  Here
> is the behaviour that I am used to and would like to return to.
>
> Emacs 23:
> C-x C-f  (find-file)
> the file that I select opens in the current window
>

> Emacs 24:
> C-x C-f (find-file)
> the file that I select opens in another window

With emacs -Q the file is not shown in another window on my machine.  So
please report this as a bug either using emacs -Q or by providing us the
relevant details from your .emacs.

> the window that the file will open in, in emacs 24 is unpredictable,
> making it very difficult to organize a multiple window session.

Please describe in the bug report what and how this happens.

> Could someone please post the setq command to get emacs 24 to behave the way
I am used to.

Emacs 24 should behave as Emacs 23 in the example you gave.  So there
should be no need for such a command.

martin