Re: Why is TAB-completion in shell not working for some commands?

From: Marius Hofert
Subject: Re: Why is TAB-completion in shell not working for some commands?
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 08:45:52 +0100

> so you have completion at least in this shell (?)

Not for a2ps for example, only for other commands (as I wrote in the
beginning).

If I type a2p + TAB in the Mac's terminal, I get:
a2p       a2p-5.12  a2p5.10   a2p5.12   a2ping    a2ps

The same in the emacs shell:
Possible completions are:
a2p     a2p5.10
a2p5.12         a2ping

=> a2p-5.12 and a2ps are missing [although I can execute, e.g., a2ps].
I can also use which a2ps in the emacs shell and correctly obtain:
/opt/local/bin/a2ps
Also, both PATHs are the same (in the terminal and in the emacs shell).

I installed a2ps via Macports (package manager) and it correctly put in the
/opt/local/bin path to PATH.

echo $PATH
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/:/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/texbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin

The only thing I did was:

Macports defines the following line in .profile:
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin

I just added the following to .profile:
export
PATH=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/:/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/:$PATH
The reason for this is that with /Applications/Emacs.app... in the beginning of
PATH, I can type "emacs" in the terminal and start the same emacs as I
installed (the GUI version), not the very old emacs that natively comes with
Mac OS and that is /user/bin/emacs

The main problem is that I can't figure out which commands work with TAB
completion and which don't. If not all work as in the terminal and if I don't
know which work, this is quite tedious to work with (because one assumes that
the command one is trying to complete is not installed etc.)

Cheers,

Marius