Re: display-buffer-alist

From: Paddy Mullen
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 12:52:03 -0500

Thanks for the help.  The problem was with display-buffer-for-wide-screen.el
 http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/download/display-buffer-for-wide-screen.el

Once I removed that from my .emacs, things worked fine.
I would still like to see a proper example of elisp code setting the display-buffer-alist.

Thanks,
Paddy

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 3:51 AM, martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> wrote:
> I'm having a very hard time understanding the documentation for
> display-buffer-alist.  emacs24 behaves differently than emacs23.  Here
> is the behaviour that I am used to and would like to return to.
>
> Emacs 23:
> C-x C-f  (find-file)
> the file that I select opens in the current window
>

> Emacs 24:
> C-x C-f (find-file)
> the file that I select opens in another window

With emacs -Q the file is not shown in another window on my machine.  So
please report this as a bug either using emacs -Q or by providing us the
relevant details from your .emacs.

> the window that the file will open in, in emacs 24 is unpredictable,
> making it very difficult to organize a multiple window session.

Please describe in the bug report what and how this happens.

> Could someone please post the setq command to get emacs 24 to behave the way I am used to.

Emacs 24 should behave as Emacs 23 in the example you gave.  So there
should be no need for such a command.

martin