Re: display-buffer-alist

From: Paddy Mullen
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:43:49 -0500

thank you, that was exactly the line that I was looking for.
I wasn't thinking elisp code as in an extension module, more along the lines of elisp code that I would enter into my .emacs .   Especially for something like display-buffer-alist I really dislike the M-x customize functionality

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:22 AM, martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  The problem was with display-buffer-for-wide-screen.el
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/download/display-buffer-for-wide-screen.el
>
> Once I removed that from my .emacs, things worked fine.

What precisely failed?  I didn't look at it but it hooks in at a lower
level (namely that of `display-buffer-function') so it should still work
with Emacs 24.

> I would still like to see a proper example of elisp code setting the
> display-buffer-alist.

Elisp code should not do that.  `display-buffer-alist' is reserved for
users as in

(customize-set-variable
 'display-buffer-alist '((".*" . (display-buffer-same-window . nil))))

Unfortunately, so far there's no common agreement on what the ALIST
argument of `display-buffer-same-window' is supposed to accomplish.

martin