Want split-window-vertically to split *vertically*

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: Want split-window-vertically to split *vertically*
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:01:11 +0000

Greetings,

I am using Emacs 23.3.1 and want to know how to make split-window-vertically do as documented: split *vertically* no matter how wide the frame is.  There clearly is logic that decides to split *horizontally* when the frame is relatively wide.  Why does C-x 2 act this way when the other behavior is available (normally) on C-x 3?

(I frequently read very wide log files.  Besides that, I know what I’m doing, so want Emacs to “trust” me?)

Thanks,

Mark