origin of `notation'

From: Buchs, Kevin
Subject: origin of `notation'
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:22:54 -0600

Ok, dumb question to which I have been unable to find the answer and which is
distracting me:

In emacs documentation, what is the origin of using the accent grave (backtick)
to introduce a quoted phrase, often a command, while using an apostrophe to
terminate it.  Example: (info) Keys and Commands: 1st paragraph: "binding" is
quoted as such, but 2nd paragraph, `next-line' is quoted that way. If someone
who knows the answer will take the time to answer, I promise I will document it
on the Emacs wiki. Does this extend beyond emacs? Beyond GNU & FSF?

Kevin Buchs   |  Senior Engineer  |  Department of Physiology and Biomedical
Engineering - SPPDG
507-538-5459  |   buchs.kevin@mayo.edu  |  http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg
Mayo Clinic  |  200 1st St. SW  |  Rochester, MN 55905