Re: Gnus: Sending email from an IMAP account: "Process smtpmail not runn

From: Marius Hofert
Subject: Re: Gnus: Sending email from an IMAP account: "Process smtpmail not running"
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:22:37 +0100

Okay, I finally figured something out:

1) I needed STARTTLS. This I could not find for Mac OS X, but it's contained in
gnutls. I wanted to install the latest version, but that failed due to some
missing file libnette... . I then used macports to install gnutls -- not a very
new version, but it did the job.

2) .gnus.el [so that was correct]:
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'message-smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")

3) When trying to send an email from my gmail account to my other account, I
was asked for the user name and password. Apparently the info in .authinfo was
not correct. Indeed, I had the full gmail address instead of just the login. So
the correct version is (with the usual replacements):
machine mail.uni.edu login mylogin port imaps password ...
machine imap.googlemail.com login my.name port imaps password ...
machine smtp.gmail.com login my.name port smtp password ...
=> Note the different port for smtp.gmail.com.

4) I also tried sending emails from my other (non-gmail) account and it worked.

Remaining questions I have (since I'm not fully understanding what I am doing)
are:
1) Are there any disadvantages in using smtp.gmail.com for sending emails from
my non-gmail account?
As far as I understood, gmail then takes care of saving sent mails [which would
actually be good since the other account may change every once in a while]
2) How could I set up a second smtp server? Can I just add a line like
smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.uni.edu" under 2) ?
3) What's the best way to get notified of new mail? I found:
3.1) gnus-notify.el
3.2) GnusBiff (see http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusBiff) set up via growl
(see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1053245/new-mail-notifications-in-gnus-for-emacs)
Is there also a way to get notified via a sound?

Cheers,

Marius