Re: Gnus: Sending email from an IMAP account: "Process smtpmail not runn

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gnus: Sending email from an IMAP account: "Process smtpmail not running"
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:33:17 +0100

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> Remaining questions I have (since I'm not fully understanding what I am
> doing) are:
> 1) Are there any disadvantages in using smtp.gmail.com for sending
> emails from my non-gmail account?

No, not really.

> As far as I understood, gmail then takes care of saving sent mails
> [which would actually be good since the other account may change every
> once in a while]

If you want sent mails you've sent with your univerity's address to show
up there in sent-mail or somewhere else, have a look at the `gcc-self'
group parameter.  You can set it either to some fixed group (like
nnimap+Uni:sent-mail), but there's more flexibility.  For example, all
my sent mails go into the groups where I replied from or started writing
in.  So my mail conversations look exactly like newsgroup threads
(except for mailing lists, where the sent mails go into a the
corresponding account's sent-mail folder).

> 2) How could I set up a second smtp server? Can I just add a line like
> smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.uni.edu" under 2) ?

No, that would override the former.

You can do so using some the external MSMTP program
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP) or directly in Gnus using a
small bit of elisp foo.  For example, that's what I've used some nix
before.

  http://paste.lisp.org/display/50396

> 3) What's the best way to get notified of new mail? I found:
> 3.1) gnus-notify.el
> 3.2) GnusBiff (see http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusBiff) set up via growl
> (see
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1053245/new-mail-notifications-in-gnus-for-emacs)
> Is there also a way to get notified via a sound?

I simply switch to *Group* from time to time. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not