Re: shell mode - how to stop division into bogus fields

From: XeCycle
Subject: Re: shell mode - how to stop division into bogus fields
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 20:15:00 +0800

Silvio Levy <levy@msri.org> writes:

[...]

> In the old behavior, if you went back to that line, edited it, and hit
> return, the whole line would be fed to the shell, except for myprompt>.
>
> In the new behavior, most kinds of editing break up the line into
> bogus "fields". For instance, suppose you realize you forgot an
> argument, and you supply it from the kill-ring. You now have
>
> myprompt> foo baz bar
>
> (where "baz" was dropped in via C-y). Now, if hit return with point on
> top of "baz", only "bar" is sent - somehow, emacs regards "baz" as a
> prompt and what comes after as the desired command. (If point is on
> "bar", likewise) only "bar" is sent.

Cannot reproduce your problem.

> In effect the line has been chopped into multiple logical lines, and
> that causes many errors.
>
> I've spent quite a bit of time searching for documentation about this,
> without success. The file comint.el talks about fields but I see a
> variable to turn off this behavior. And worse, it looks like such
> documentation as there is, is wrong. For instance,
>
>  http://www.gnu.org/s/libtool/manual/emacs/Shell-Prompts.html
>
> says that "when point is in input on the same line as a prompt, C-a
> puts point at the beginning of the input if comint-use-prompt-regexp
> is nil and at the beginning of the line otherwise."
>
> In fact, for me (under emacs 23.1.1, called with -q, and having hit
> M-x shell which opens my default shell, csh), C-a always puts point at
> the beginning of the "piece" it's on, regardless of the value of
> comint-use-prompt-regexp.

Cannot reproduce this, either.  I'm using GNU Emacs 24.0.91.2
(x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.8) of 2011-11-19.
You can also try `-Q', to see if your distro or local admin broke
it.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University