Re: edit a file over two linked ssh

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: edit a file over two linked ssh
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 06:33:14 +0100

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi,

> Sorry forgot to mention that. I have all the ssh settings in my
> ~/.ssh/config and tramp-default-method is set to ssh. So always I
> connect like this: "C-x C-f /remotehost:/path/to/file".

This helps you for the first hop, to publichost. For the next hop, you
should have set ~/.ssh/config on publichost. And the last hop needs a
proper setting of ~/.ssh/config on intgw.

>> (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
>>             '("remotehost.\+" nil "/ssh:intuser@intgw:"))
>> (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
>>             '("intgw" nil "/ssh:publicuser@publichost:"))
>>
>> Note, that the order of both forms matters. Now you can open "C-x C-f
>> /remoteuser@remotehost1:/path/to/file".
>
> This doesn't seem to work. Whenever I do this, using ps I can see tramp
> tries to connect like this: ssh -l user -e none remotehost. And
> obviously the connection times out.
>
> I tried the following in a minimal Emacs 24 session.
>
> (require 'tramp)
>
> (setq debug-on-quit t
>       tramp-default-method "ssh"
>       tramp-verbose 6)
>
> (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
>              '("remotehost.\+" nil "/ssh:%u@intgw:"))
> (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
>              '("intgw" nil "/ssh:%u@publichost:"))
>
> Then I tried to open a file like this: C-x C-f /user@remotehost:~/ RET

Is it the same user on all three hosts?

> After waiting for a while I hit C-g to generate a backtrace (attached).

Please send me the reulting debug buffer. Setting tramp-verbose to 9 or
10 might be better. And I would also like to see the value of
`tramp-default-proxies-alist'.

You can send it off the list.

> Thanks,

Best regards, Michael.