No password pop-up for CVS diff inside Emacs

From: Xin Shi
Subject: No password pop-up for CVS diff inside Emacs
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:50:33 +0100

Hello Experts,

I'm viewing a CVS controlled file inside Emacs and I want to look at the earlier version by:

C-x v ~ , then the version number, but it failed:

ad-Orig-error: Running cvs -Q update -r1.4 -p Example.cc...FAILED (status 1)

I tested the command in the terminal:
cvs -Q update -r1.4 -p Example.cc

It poped-up for password, and after I entered, it is OK.

Now the question is why the Emacs in the first place didn't ask me the password and just failed?

Thanks!
Xin