Re: how to input Eszett ('ß')?

From: ken
Subject: Re: how to input Eszett ('ß')?
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:24:26 -0500

On 11/30/2011 08:04 PM Michael Heerdegen wrote:
Hi,

if you have to type a lot of German characters, you can use a German
input method.  E.g. try

  C-x RET C-\ german-prefix RET

then you can use "a to get ä or "s for ß etc.

- Michael.

Thanks, Michael. Great thing. But then how does one then return to the previous input method?

Note: when I do Mx- describe-input-method, the minibuffer prompt says

Describe input method (default, current choice):

If I then hit RET, I get Debugger telling me "No input method is activated now".

The buffer I'm doing this in (if it matters) is utf-8 encoded. This emacs version is 21.4.1-- yes, old, but the latest distributed in RH/CentOS 5.7 (which is, yes, another issue... for another time), and AFAIK, uncustomized from that distribution.

tnx++,
ken