failure to turn off highlight for current line

From: Jim Green
Subject: failure to turn off highlight for current line
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 15:22:18 -0500

Hi!

when I open a c++ file,  it  highlights current line.

for non c++ file, it's clean though.

I have
(setq global-hl-line-mode 0) in my vars.rc.el file and my init.el load
it but this doesn't work.

I suspect some later rc files overwrites my setting in vars.rc.el.  I
could use m-x hl-line-mode to turn it off though.

c-h v shows:

global-hl-line-mode is a variable defined in `hl-line.el'.
Its value is nil

In this case is there an easy way to permanently turn the highlighting
off for current line? or how to troubleshoot why I have line
highlighting on?

Thanks!
Jim.