Re: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs

From: Steven Har
Subject: Re: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:07:46 +0700

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
Steven Har <stevenhar007@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Steven,

> I'm using breadcrumb.el, and from time to time when exiting Emacs
> there's a few seconds delay with the status area showing "Wrote
> ~/.emacs.d/breadcrumb"

The "wrote" (past tense) suggests that the culprit is something that
happens after the breadcrumb has finished, but that's only a vague
guess.

Before you exit emacs, do M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET.  Then exit emacs
(C-x C-c), and when you are in the seems-to-hang state, hit C-g.  That
will pop up a buffer showing a lisp backtrace that you can poste here
and hopefully helps us finding the culprit.

Ok I managed to do that just now, here's the debugger output (I guess not much more info? But I'm still very clueless when it comes to Emacs Lisp):

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
save-place-forget-unreadable-files()
save-place-alist-to-file()
save-place-kill-emacs-hook()
run-hooks(kill-emacs-hook)
kill-emacs()
save-buffers-kill-emacs(nil)
save-buffers-kill-terminal(nil)
call-interactively(save-buffers-kill-terminal nil nil)

I'll try strace and report on any progress later.